With the Australian Open approaching, this has been a particulalrly plush week for tennis features in the media. From the mainstream news giants to the obscure blogs of the hardcore fans, here are some of the highlights from the last week:
1. A fascinating look behind the science of string technology in tennis and the failure of the ITF to effectively legislate on the matter,
2. What can I say, Davydenko just cracks me up. Here is introducing CNN viewers to his family.
3. SI.com picks out a few memorable Australian Open moments. Not much more to it than that really.
4. For those interested in the mental aspect of playing the game, former pro Dr Allen Fox has written a book on the subject. This interview gives a good overview.
5. Some interesting comments from Jim Courier about Ryan Harrison and particularly Donald Young. His criticism of Young’s fitness ties in with a piece I wrote about the player recently.
6. A brief but brutally honest assessment of Lleyton Hewitt’s game from Josh Eagles, a member of his coaching staff.
7. Nils Sigurdsson reports from courtside at the qualies in Melbourne. A good chance to learn a bit about some new players.
8. An interwiew Till Salme, the coach of future star David Goffin, talking about the player’s strengths and weaknesses.